Invenio is a free software suite enabling you to run your own digital library or document repository on the web. The technology offered by the software covers all aspects of digital library management, from document ingestion through classification, indexing, and curation up to document dissemination. Invenio complies with standards such as the Open Archives Initiative and uses MARC 21 as its underlying bibliographic format. The flexibility and performance of Invenio make it a comprehensive solution for management of document repositories of moderate to large sizes.
Invenio has been originally developed at CERN to run the CERN document server, managing over 1,000,000 bibliographic records in high-energy physics since 2002, covering articles, books, journals, photos, videos, and more. Invenio is nowadays co-developed by an international collaboration comprising institutes such as CERN, DESY, EPFL, FNAL, SLAC and is being used by many more scientific institutions worldwide.
We aim at user friendliness and speed. Among the features are:
- Navigable collection tree
- Documents organised in collections
- Regular and virtual collection trees
- Customisable portal pages for each collection
- At CERN, over 1,000,000 documents in 700 collections
- Powerful search engine
- Specially designed indexes to provide fast search speed for repositories of up to 3,000,000 records
- Customisable simple and advanced search interfaces
- Combined metadata, fulltext and citation search in one go
- Results clustering by collection
- Flexible metadata
- Standard metadata format (MARC)
- Handling articles, books, theses, photos, videos, museum objects and more
- Customisable batch import and web submission workflows
- Customisable output format display and linking rules
- Collaborative features and personalisation
- User-defined document baskets
- User-defined email notification alerts
- Personalised RSS queries
- Sharing documents of interest in user groups
- Peer reviewing and group commenting on documents
Invenio is free software licenced under the terms of the GNU General Public Licence (GPL). It is provided on an “as is” basis, in the hope that it will be useful, but without any warranty. There is a possibility to get commercial support in case of interest.
Invenio runs on Unix-like systems and requires Python/Flask web application server, MySQL, PostgreSQL or SQLite database server, Elasticsearch for information retrieval and Redis for caching. Please consult the INSTALL file for more information.
Happy hacking and thanks for flying Invenio.